Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday Afternoon: Vardavar!

There is a great description of Vardavar here. I was warned by my friends to dress in clothes that would not be hurt by a drenching, so I wore jeans and a t-shirt and left my leather wallet and camera at home. During my expedition to Vernissage there was no problem, but as I waited for my friends to pick me up to go to a water park for fun with vardavar frenzy, I could see kids already bringing their buckets to the Republican Square fountain and looking for automobiles with open windows. I was taken by my friends to a new Tufenkian Heritage Hotel which was hosting an open house for Armenian Cultural presentations (read place for politicians to speak on a Holiday) with food, dancing presentations, and, inevitably, a water-bucket fight that started at 2:00pm, after the beautiful costumed dancers and musicians were safely out of sight. We only had a few minutes to awaken the worst aspects of your inner child (finding a dry victim for your bucket of water) before deciding to call it an afternoon. Still, quite memorable. My camera stayed dry at home.
Photo from Abovyan.com

No comments: